A biosafety cabinet, also called a biological safety cabinet or microbiological safety cabinetis an enclosed, ventilated laboratory workspace for safely working with materials contaminated with (or potentially contaminated with) pathogens requiring a defined biosafety level.
The primary purpose of a BSC is to serve as a means to protect the laboratory worker and the surrounding environment from pathogens. All exhaust air is HEPA-filtered as it exits the biosafety cabinet, removing harmful bacteria and viruses. This is in contrast to a laminar flow clean bench, which blows unfiltered exhaust air towards the user and is not safe for work with pathogenic agents. Neither are most BSCs safe for use as fume hoods. Likewise, a fume hood fails to provide the environmental protection that HEPA filtration in a BSC would provide. However, most classes of BSCs have a secondary purpose to maintain the sterility of materials inside (the “product”).
Class I cabinets provide personnel and environmental protection but no product protection. In fact, the inward flow of air can contribute to contamination of samples. Inward airflow is maintained at a minimum velocity of 75 ft/min(0.38 m/s). These BSCs are commonly used to enclose specific equipment (e.g. centrifuges) or procedures (e.g. aerating cultures) that potentially generate aerosols. BSCs of this class are either ducted (connected to the building exhaust system) or unducted (recirculating filtered exhaust back into the laboratory.
Class II cabinets provide both kinds of protection (of the samples and of the environment) since makeup air is also HEPA-filtered. There are five types: Type A1 (formerly A), Type A2 (formerly A/B3), Type B1, Type B2 and Type C1. Each type’s requirements are defined by NSF International Standard 49, which in 2002 reclassified A/B3 cabinets (classified under the latter type if connected to an exhaust duct) as Type A2, and added the Type C1 in the 2016 standard. About 90% of all biosafety cabinets installed are Type A2 cabinets.
Ai Class II Type A2 biosafety cabinet features
- NSF certified
- Great for COVID-19 specimen handling
- Motorized front glass viewing window with optional foot switch
- Dual HEPA filters with life indicator
- UV light life indicator
- Waterproof in-chamber power sockets
- Large LCD display
- Easy-to-clean stainless steel chamber
- Special treated unit housing with anti-mold and antiseptic coating
- Auto start and stop function (e.g. UV lights)
- Automatic flow speed adjustment
- Pneumatic front panel supports for easy maintenance
Caution! Installation requires a forklift or a crane.
Attention! Steps before and after using the unit.
- Step 1: Fully close the front glass panel, turn on UV light for 30 mins (you can use the timer setting). Users should leave the room during this disinfection period.
- Step 2. Raise the glass panel to recommended opening height, turn on air circulation for 10 minutes.
- After operation is done, fully close the glass panel and turn on UV light for another 30 minutes for decontamination.
|Electrical requirements|| 110V 60Hz 1-Phase 400 watts|
220V 50/60Hz 1-Phase 400 watts
|Chamber|| Dimensions: 48 x 23.5 x 26″ (WxDxH)|
Material: 304 stainless steel
Power outlet with cover: four, < 500 watts
Water port x 1, stainless steel
Gas port x 1, stainless steel
Hanging bar: stainless steel, with 10 hooks
– Made from stainless steel
– 29.5″ ground clearance
– Comes with handlles. Entire surface can be easily removed for cleaning
|Lights|| LED lights: 18W x 2, > 1000 Lux|
UV lights: 30W (Germicidal UV lamp, emission 253.7 nanometers)
* UV lights available only when front glass panel is fully closed.
* Recommended replacement interval: 600 hours
|Air flow|| Volume|
Inflow: 345 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute)
Downflow: 500 CFM
Exhaust: 345 CFM
Inflow: 100-110 FPM (Feet per Minute)
Downflow: 60-70 FPM
Motor: 1/2 HP, 9A
* 70% recirculated internally, 30% discharged from top vent
* Air circulation available only when front glass panel is open
|Top clearance||12″ (recommended)|
| HEPA (High-Efficiency|
Particulate Air) filter
| Two, with 99.999% efficiency at 0.3 μm diameter|
Filter hour indicator and life bar on controller
* Recommended replacement interval: 4,000 hours
|Front safety panel|| Material: tempered safety glass (thickness > 5mm), dual-layer, laminated, UV blocking|
Recommended opening height: 10″
Maximum opening height: 20.5″
|Material|| Chamber: 304 stainless steel|
Main body: powder coated steel
|Controller||LCD screen with soft touch buttons and remote control|
|Noise||< 65 dB(A)|
|Casters||Four, with stationable feet|
Weight & dimensions
| 520 Lbs / 725 Lbs|
54.5 x 30.5 x 90″ (fully assembled) / 61 x 43 x 76″ (WxDxH)54.5 x 30.5 x 63.5″ (not fully assembled)
|Safety|| Abnormal airflow alarm|
Filter replacement alarm
Front glass panel unsafe height
|Compliance||NSF/ANSI 49 (C0559576)|